The Fifth Annual Native American Health Care Conference takes place November 12-14, 2014 at the Morongo Casino Resort & Spa in Cabazon, California.
ACI Medical will be there with the ArtAssist® device to present and discuss solutions to diabetes-related complications in the Native American community, particularly in regards to diabetic foot ulcers.
- American Indian and Alaska Native adults are twice as likely to have diagnosed type 2 diabetes than non-Hispanic whites
- Rates of diagnosed diabetes among American Indians and Alaska Natives younger than 35 doubled from 1994–2004.
- Data from the 2009 Indian Health Services’ (IHS) National Patient Information Reporting System (NPIRS) indicate that
14.2 percent of American Indians and Alaska Natives aged 20 years or older who received care from IHS had diagnosed diabetes
- In 2012, diabetes and its related complications accounted for $245 billion in total medical costs and lost work and wages. This figure is up from $174 billion in 2007
Having diabetes increases a patient’s chances of foot ulcers that are slow to heal. If left untreated, diabetic foot ulcers will grow, become infected, and can eventually lead to limb amputation. It is of utmost importance that diabetics educate themselves on proper foot care and make regular visits to their health care teams.
Some patients have difficulties managing their diabetic foot ulcers and are now facing the prospect of a major amputation. The ArtAssist® device has been shown to restore circulation to the ulcer, facilitating wound healing and limb salvage. The system is non-invasive, user-friendly, and can be used at home or at a clinic.
Over 25 clinical studies from multiple, independent centers confirm that the ArtAssist® device is responsible for a significant increase in arterial blood flow to affected limbs.
- Doubles or triples pain-free walking distance in patients with intermittent claudication
- 86-94% limb salvage rate
- Opens and strengthens collateral arteries, resulting in long-term benefits (arteriogenesis)
For more information, please visit these resources:
- Fifth Annual Native American Health Care Conference web page
- Diabetes Fact Sheet – CDC.gov
- Diabetes: Minorities Face Greater Burden – CDC.gov
- Diabetes among American Indians and Alaska Natives – CDC.gov
- The ArtAssist® Device – Homepage
- Visit ACI Medical at Desert Foot 2013
- “Use Of The ArtAssist Device In The Treatment Of Critical…
- Taiwanese PAD patients have improved quality of life & better…
- Diabetic foot education is closer than you think – go…
- Abstract: “How The ArtAssist Pneumatic Compression Device Can Heal Ulcers…
- Limb Salvage with Arterial Pump Compression Therapy: A Graphical Representation